Hardships, such as loss of income due to injury, illness or death of the primary wage earner, can strike anyone at any time. When they do, payment problems may occur. We want to help in any way we can. That’s why we created our Customer Assistance & Referral Evaluation Service (CARES) program.
The goal of the program is to assist payment-challenged customers and special needs customers to obtain necessary social service support and assistance.
- Home visit by CARES representative
- Information about reducing your electric use
- Toll-free number for questions and information
- Referrals to other Duquesne Light programs
- Referrals to other community resources, such as:
- Dollar Energy Fund
- Food Programs
- Employment Counseling
How to Qualify
There are no income guidelines to qualify for the CARES Program. You may qualify for CARES if you:
- Are experiencing a temporary hardship.
- Are willing to work together with a CARES representative.
Examples of Temporary Hardships:
- Serious illness or injury to a member of household
- Death of the primary wage earner
- SSI or disability recipient
- Low-income elderly
- Low-income single parent
- Loss of income to household
- Marital or family problems
- Loss of unemployment benefits
- High medical bills
- Mental health disability
How to Apply
- Call our Universal Services Center at: 1-888-393-7600.
A Duquesne Light Company (DLC) representative will provide the name and telephone number of the CARES agency nearest you. When you contact that CARES agency, please have the following information available:
- Monthly and/or yearly income of all household members
- Names and birth dates of all household members
- Household expenses, such as rent, utility bills, food and insurance payments
- Provide proof of income.
You may be required to provide proof of your monthly and/or yearly household income.
- Your Responsibilities:
- Must apply for energy assistance grants, if eligible
- Must contact agencies suggested to you by the CARES representative
- Conserve electricity
- Please note: If you do not maintain your customer responsibilities, you may be removed from the program.